Re: iLBC licencing issues (was: Fwd: kiax_0.8.4-3_i386.changes REJECTED)

Mark Purcell wrote:
> All,
>
> I have had a bit of a scout around and it appears that asterisk, openh323,
> kphone and others also distribute the iLBC source code.
Oh great.  Please file serious bugs against all of the above if they're in
main.

Someone should also contact upstream and ask them to change their license.
The fact that the code can't legally be used to implement a different codec
is the most unacceptable part.  Granting of license in modifications to GIPS
should not happen with private modifications.  The requirement to notify GIPS
must be removed (but can be replaced with a request).  Choice of jurisdiction
is acceptable only for lawsuits against GIPS, not for any other lawsuits.  I
think that's all, but it's quite long, so I may have missed or forgotten
something.

The code is distributable in non-free, but *sigh* you have to notify GIPS if
you do it.

> Interestingly openh323 originally thought iLBC was incompatible with the
MPL,

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

This space intentionally left blank.