Re: Licensing pictures within an application

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray writes:
> > Sez law. If knowing that expression led me to write a new large
> > expression a particular way, wouldn't you call it derived?
>
> SCOX will no doubt be glad to hear that its "methods and processes"
> copyright infringement theory is recognized by and agreeable to free
> software advocates.  Or is that not what you meant?

It seems unlikely I meant that, but your point is unclear
to me because I've mostly ignored the SCO comedy.

> At least in the US, copyright law covers specific types of creative
> expression.  Creative expression may be expressed at the textual
> level, at the structural level, or potentially at some other level,
> but a thing influenced by one form of creative expression is not
> necessarily a derivative work of that expression.

"Influenced by" seems a rather weaker example than my one of an
expression leading me to write another particular expression.
Are you claiming a work whose expression is part-determined by
another expression is not necessarily a derivative of it?

--
MJR/slef