Re: Licensing pictures within an application

Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2005 19:06:35 GMT, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > If they are compiled in in some way that means that the GPL'd work
> > contains detailed knowledge of the expression of the CC'd work,
> > then it is a derivative work and not possible to distribte under GPL.
>
> Sez who? (Besides you and other brainwashed GNUtians, that is.)

Sez law. If knowing that expression led me to write a new large
expression a particular way, wouldn't you call it derived?

> BTW, protection for "knowledge" (apart from expression modulo the
> AFC test) comes from patents or trade secrets if at all, and not
> from copyright.

All of (C)/Pat/NDA/TMs involve some sort of knowledge on one level.
Copyrights involve copying the knowledge in an expression.
Patents involve knowledge of an invention.
Non-Disclosure Agreements involve knowledge of facts or processes (usually).
Trademarks involve public knowledge of a service or product.

If you refer to things like AFC, you should expand them early on.
Also, please follow the lists code of conduct (URL below).

--
MJR/slef