Re: Linux Documentation Project License (LDPL) v2.0

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:40:32 -0400 Michael Poole wrote:

> Francesco Poli writes:
>
> > The main clauses I'm concerned about are:
> >
> > Clause A.2:
> >
> > |  2. The person making the modifications must be identified.
> >
> > This fails to allow anonymous modifications
[...]
> I think the license clause permits pseudonymity,

I don't think so.
A pseudonym does not "identify" its owner, AFAICT.
It can help to tell various different nym owners apart (but remember
anyway that the same person *can* own more than one nym!), but it does
nothing to disclose its owner's identity (in fact, preventing such
disclosure is really the nym's job!).

> which would generally
> protect the modifier from harassment, but both interpretations are
> reasonable.  I would be happier if the license were clearer on what
> kind of identification is permitted.

I think it *should* be clearer.

> > Clause A.2bis:
> >
> > |  2. The author be notified by email of the modification in advance
> > |  of
> > |     redistribution, if an email address is provided in the
> > |     document.
> >
> > _If_ the document includes "an email address", this fails to the
> > Desert Island test, discriminates against people that do not have
> > Internet access (or anyway the possibility to send e-mail messages):
> > fails DFSG#5.
>
> In the license, this is listed as a request, separate from the
> definite requirements from the prevoius list.  I do not think a
> reasonable person would interpret the request as a requirement.

As I said in the other reply, my fault in reading "required" where I
should have read "requested"!  :(

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4