Re: Linux Documentation Project License (LDPL) v2.0

Scripsit Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>

> All identifiers have scope; if the license doesn't specify, there's no
> reason to think you can't use an identifier whose scope is limited to your
> involvement in the project. :)

It's a reasonable interpretation. The problem is that there are
_other_ reasonable interpretations as well; in particular one easily
imagines a court that would find that the "limited-scope identifier"
defense is a nonsense word-game and finds for the plaintiff (the
author who had sued a pseudonymous modificator for infringement).

In default of clarification from the licensor, we should not include
software in Debian if the freedoms it comes with is there only under
the assumption that the license is interpreted particularly favourably
(where there are other reasonable but less free interpretations
available).

--
Henning Makholm                                              # good fish ...
                                                    # goodfish, goodfish ...