Re: Freeness of licence for wwwcount?

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 12:47:59PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> The package wwwcount used to be in non-free, and has been subsequently
> removed as it was orphaned.

> I've just had a read of the licence[1], and I can't actually see anything
> terribly wrong with it.

> Can someone with more licensing-fu than me please tell me what's wrong with
> it?

The license, quoted in full:

Copyright 1995-2001 by Muhammad A Muquit. Permission to use, copy, modify
and distribute this program is hereby granted without fee, provided that
this copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. If the
source code of the program is modified or enhanced, the source code must be
made public and it must be clearly mentioned in the documentation what was
modified.

THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY. THE
AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHOR Muhammad A. Muquit BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE,
DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
TORTUOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
OF THIS SOFTWARE.

So this license prohibits private modifications.