Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 12:33:23PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:27:35PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > It makes it inconvenient for users and debian-legal, needing to
> > know local absurdities of Seaforth or whereever's court procedures.

> By this reasoning, we should reject every package for which someone holds
> copyright, because it is inconvenient for us to know the local absurdities of
> copyright law of Seaforth or whereever.

No, actually, my country's government doesn't give a flying fruit basket
what *another* country says copyright protections should be; if the work is
being distributed in the US, it's US copyright law that applies, because in
the absence of US copyright law *the work would enjoy no copyright
protection at all*.  This is one of the reasons the Berne Convention exists
-- to ensure that signatory nations offer comparable copyright protections
to works regardless of their country of origin.