Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 01:56:50PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org>
>> Henning Makholm writes:

>>> I doubt that "people who do not wish to become legally bound to appear
>>> at the the author's home court whenever he files a frivolous lawsuit"
>>> can be meaningfully described as a "group of persons" that can be
>>> discriminated against. If everybody belongs to the group, is it
>>> meaningfull to discriminate against it?

>> Not everyone belongs to the group: In all cases to date (and likely
>> all cases in the future), some people would naturally be subject to
>> the court's jurisdiction.

> Unless they have for some reason already decided conclusively that
> they will never leave that jurisdiction and settle elsewhere, they are
> still inconvenienced.

>> As an example, the QPL discriminates against everyone who does not
>> live conveniently close to Olso.

> And against people who do live close to Oslo but may later contemplate
> to move elsewhere.

That raises an interesting situatoin. What if the author moves? The author
would have to travel back to Oslo to participate in a law suit related to that
version of the license.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/