Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >Notice that we already accepted a CDDLed program in debian, namely the star
> >packages which comes with this clause :
> >
> >9. MISCELLANEOUS.
>
> [snip]
>
> > The application of the
> >    United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale
> >    of Goods is expressly excluded.
>
> [snip]
>
> That's my favourite bit of lawyerese in MPL-derivative licenses.
>
> I wish they had expressly excluded the sharia law on software licenses
> as practised by the late Taleban ruling Kandahar.

So, is this non-free or not ?

> >So, i wonder why it was accepted, if it was non-free. But maybe we just
> >passed
> >it up silently and didn't notice ? Who was the ftp-master responsible for
> >letting this one enter the archive, and can he comment on this ?
>
> I guess it was a mistake.

So, we need either to get back the old star version, or somehow kick the whole
thing out of debian and into non-free ...

> star used to be under the GPL, and then Joerg Schilling changed the
> license to CDDL. The respective change was at
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/star/news/4.html and the license change
> did not seem to have been discussed on debian-legal. The discussions on
> CDDL in 2005-01 seem to have petered out inconclusively.

... but before taking such actions, we should probably decide on the CDDL.

Friendly,

Sven Luther