Re: FAIwiki Copyrights

Carbon Copy to debian-legal for their advice

Please Carbon-Copy both mailinglists when doing a follow-up.

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 02:28:15PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Hi,
> As Holger pointed out to me, it could prove very important, that we
> define a clear copyright for the contents of the FAI wiki, to be able to
> use it's contents flexibly somewhere else without trouble later.
>
> My feeling about copyrights and intellectual property often is, that
> anyway you need to be a lawyer and/or have lots of money to be sure not
> to risk getting sued and losing the lawsuit. Maybe that was one of the
> reasons why I didn't care about that until now.
> For the FAIwiki, my reponsibility requests that  have to care more about
> that, so, as it seems to be an important issue,
> let's discuss here and see if we can agree on a license
> the FAIwiki should run on.
>
> As Holger pointed out it could be very complicated to even change the
> copyright after people put even a bit of content in, I put a copy of as
> well as a link to the creative commons 2.5 attribution license in the
> copyright part of the wiki now, that enables us, even if people add
> content before we finish this discussion, to use these contents under
> the new license we agree on.
>
> If nobody will comment, we stay with this license, if anybody has
> comments, objections, ideas, whatever - please let's talk about it here
> on the list - I welcome your feedback very much! :)

The wiki is at http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de

IANAL & AFAIK there are about five versions of the Creative Commons License.
Some of them are very restricting. e.g. "don't modify my beautiful
painting". But a wiki is about allow others to modify ( improve it )

Question to -legal@l.d.o.:

 Which license (and which version of it) is adviced for a wiki
 in the spirit of DFSG?

Cheers
Geert Stappers