Code of conduct and MUAs [was: Re: LGPL module linked with a GPL lib]

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:07:00 -0700 Michael K. Edwards wrote:

> On 7/29/05, Francesco Poli <frx@winstonsmith.info> wrote:
[...]
> > P.S.: please do not reply to me directly, while Cc:ing the list, as
> > I didn't ask you to do so... since I'm a debian-legal subscriber,
> > I'd rather not receive messages twice! thanks
>
> I went back and checked the "code of conduct" and you are of course
> right that I am in error.  It's too bad that the code of conduct plus
> the remailer configuration are inverted relative to the way that MUAs
> work.

Huh?

What do you mean by "remailer"?
I assume you are not talking about anonymous remailers...
:-?

The MUA I use (Sylpheed) seems to automatically reply to the list,
unless (as in your case!) a Reply-To: field is set differently.
Unfortunately, Sylpheed does not honour the Mail-Followup-To: field, so
I have to manage it manually (grin!).

> Adding a Followup-To: d-l is supposed to be a no-op by the code
> of conduct, and would make almost all MUAs do the right thing;

Are you sure there are *so many* MUAs that honour the Mail-Followup-To:
header?
Is Sylpheed one of the *few* that don't?
I'm told Mutt does the Right Thing(TM) with M-F-T: headers...
Which other MUAs behave similarly?

> but the
> remailer doesn't do it automatically.  And even if I check the headers
> manually I'm not supposed to assume that a Reply-To: (real mail
> address) was intentional.

I believe my messages come with no Reply-To: field...

> So I'm supposed to strip the sender from
> the reply list no matter what Followup-To or Reply-To says, unless
> "I'm not subscribed, please copy me" is in the body of the message.  I
> guess I'll do that henceforth, but it really feels broken.

IIRC, the code of conduct says that the canonical way to ask to be Cc:ed
on replies is setting an appropriate Mail-Followup-To: field.
Asking the same in the message body (in natural language) is a useful
reminder for users of MUAs that do not automatically honour the

Am I correct?

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4