Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

On 20050723T013237+0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> So if I write C with comments and then remove them that's not DFSG free,
> but if I fail to add them in the first place then it's fine for main?

This is not a universally applicable rule, but:

When a good programmer writes uncommented code, it's usually written in
a way that requires no comments for understanding it.

When a good programmer writes commented code, the comments are often
actually important for understanding the code (say, the code is
necessarily so hairy that one needs to have a high-level understanding
of it to be able to make sense of it; that understanding will be induced
by the comment).

In the second case, removing the comments will make the source code
unmaintainable, while in the first case, the commentless source code is
perfectly maintainable.

As to whether this affects DFSG freeness, I cannot say.
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian