Re: MPlayer revisited

* MJ Ray:

> Diego Biurrun <diego@biurrun.de> wrote:
>
>> I was told that it is now up to the FTP masters to review the package
>> and admit it into the distribution.  I was also told that these people
>> are worried that MPlayer might infringe upon software patents. [...]
>
> ..might infringe upon patents that will cause problems for debian,
> in particular.

Obviously, Debian is willing to take some risks to be able distribute
interoperable software at all (cf. the JPEG situation).  Given that
most of the patents mplayer can infringe are already touched by other
software in Debian, I can't see how it would significally increase
Debian's patent exposure.