Re: RES: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

On 5/17/05, Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> Hm, so a French court could claim jurisdiction over a case where a
> modification is made to free software that the original software's
> author opposed and the modified work is distributed in France.

Among other things, yes.

> Was your point that significant use of free software is untenable in
> continental Europe, or that droit d'auteur is distinct from the more
> economic parts of copyright (the parts the GPL addresses)?

Let me put it to you this way:

I claim that the GPL is not a contract.

I don't believe I'm disputing any claim you've made when
I say this, because near as I can tell you have never
actually asserted that the GPL is a contract.  The closest
you've come seems to be this:

< I've engaged in an extended discussion with the person on the other
< end of licensing@fsf.org, to whom Eben Moglen directed me, on both the
< "derivative work" and "GPL is a contract" points.  IANAL, and neither
< is licensing@fsf.org, but I raised many of the US legal precedents
< which I have previously cited on debian-legal.  Suffice it to say that
< if the FSF has a leg to stand on, it's not visible through that
< mechanism of inquiry.

Similarly, the specific claims you've proposed in your above
paragraph don't really correspond to anything that I'm saying.

--
Raul