Re: RES: Where to put Open Transport Tycoon (openttd)

Humberto Massa Guimarães <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> writes:

>> See the paragraph from Micro Star v. FormGen cited in my response to
>> Raul.  It's not the degree of indirection in reference to artworks,
>> it's the fact that the game experience plagiarizes protectable
>> expression from Transport Tycoon.
>
> Ok. I'm conviced you're probably right.

I'm not so convinced.  It depends on how much of the game is defined
in the data files, and how much is part of the engine, in other words,
how generic the game engine is.

Unless a proper distinction is made, you could argue that the game was
made to run on an Intel CPU, and thus AMD is infringing on the game by
making a machine capable of running it.  I don't expect anyone to
seriously attempt such an argument, but with a dedicated game console,
the borders are more blurred, especially when the manufacturer of the
original hardware also produces games.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com