Re: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

On 5/12/05, Humberto Massa <humberto.massa@almg.gov.br> wrote:
> This is irrelevant. Its creative status independs of its performance.

Its performance is evidence of its creative status.

> You are saying that hello_world in isolation will not perform. Neither
> will the debian package of the daemon that links with libsnmp and
> libssl. Neither will the (dynamically linked) executables inside such
> package.

Agreed.

> Anyway, I was not talking about distributing the "working" hello_world
> (if you are referring to the working set of it in RAM, after loaded --
> after all, this is the only thing that "performs" when a file is dynalinked)

This might be relevant if we planned on distributing only non-working
copies of Quagga.

Anyways, I'll repeat my earlier assertion: if working copies of
Quagga do not use functionality specific to libssl then we're
dealing with mere aggregation and are not violating the
copyright.  This is true regardless of whether or not anyone
believes the copyright is enforceable, and regardless of
whether or not Quagga is dynamically or statically linked.

--
Raul