Re: GPL and linking (was: Urgently need GPL compatible libsnmp5-dev replacement :-()

On 5/5/05, Michael K. Edwards <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to spam debian-devel -- and with a long message containing long
> paragraphs too, horrors! -- in replying to this.

Who is sorry?  How sorry?

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that this sorry-ness is not
something that matters enough to you to avoid posting long and
elliptical messages to debian-devel.

> > On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:51:51PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > The GPL simply defers to copyright law to define "derivative work".

> Actually, it tries to define "work based on the Program" in terms of
> "derivative work under copyright law", and then incorrectly
> paraphrases that definition.

It's probably worth noting that "derivative work" and "work based on the
Program" are spelled differently.  What's not clear, to me, is whether the
word "that" refers to the "d" phrase or the "w" phrase.  Careful study sheds
no insight into this burning issue.

[If I read the GPL, I can't find where it paraphrases the "d" phrase.  On the
other hand I can't figure out how someone could claim that the GPL
incorrectly paraphrases the "w" phrase.]

> There has been so much silliness written about this topic ...

Agreed.

--
Raul