Illegal code distribution from http://people.debian.org/~cowboy/debian/x3270/

On Mon, 11 April 2005, Richard A Nelson wrote:

>> It seem to me the the situation can be cleared by sending few emails
>> and instead the pacage was removed.

> You've only read about the most recent issue... This has been battled
> for *many* years and the DFSG crew is growing more vigilant - at the
> expense of the pragmatists amongs us :(

The need for a suitable permission statement from the rights holder(s)
for Debian to distribute any given copyrighted work is a legal
requirement, and has nothing at all to do with the DFSG.

> I still need and use x3270, in fact I've just put the newest version up at:
> http://people.debian.org/~cowboy/debian/x3270/dists/unstable/

As stated in the follow-ups to the bug report, the package was removed
from the FTP archive in order to reduce the Project's potential
liability for copyright infringement. Now, thanks to you, the Project
is *still* hosting and distributing copyrighted code from within its
infrastructure without the permissions required to legally do so.

I'm assuming that the only reason DSA haven't already moved to enforce
the Machine Usage Policy[1] is that they're not yet aware of this most
blatant and deliberate breach on your part. CC to -admin added in
order to bring it to their attention.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/dmup