Re: Seeking advice for #305732

Enrico Zini wrote:
Hello,

the Firefox Help/About window reports something like "All rights
reserved".  I was wondering if that conflicts with being licensed under
the MPL, or if it's just a way of saying "this is not in the public
domain".

As I understand it (and this is a good time to emphasise that I am neither a lawyer nor a DD), the Mozilla Foundation exercise the rights granted in para 3.6 of the MPL[1] to distribute FF binaries under a highly restrictive license. See also, the FireFox binary EULA[2].

It is my understanding of the MPL that it is its intention to allow practically any license for binary distribution, as long as the source of any MPLed files (or files containing MPLed code) is made available, and the end-user is made aware of this.

As anyone receiving the source under the MPL has the same liberal choice of binary license, such a license need not apply to anything you build yourself from the same source, even if it ended up being identical to the official FF binary. The MPL does not grant a trademark license, so if your binary was infringing the FireFox trademark, you would need to seek permission/forgiveness from the Mozilla Foundation.

[1] - http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.txt
[2] - http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/EULA/firefox-en.html

--
Lewis Jardine