Re: [PATCH 00/04] Load keyspan firmware with hotplug
On Apr 5, 2005 9:36 AM, Marcel Holtmann <email@example.com> wrote:
> People are also working on a replacement for the
> current request_firmware(), because the needs are changing. Try to keep
> it close with the usb-serial for now.
Could you elaborate on what do you think is needed? I have some of
patches to firmware loader and wondering if we should coordinate out
efforts. I have
1. convert from using a timer to wait_for_comletion_timeout which
2. tightening of state transition rules and removing possible memory
leak (very unlikely)
3. converting firmware_priv to fw_class_dev to simplify memory management.
4. removing request_firmware_nowait as noone seems to be using it -
and I doubt one would ever want to request firmware from an interrupt.
5. Creating firmware class in a separate thread to work around selinux
(with prism54 firmware is loaded when interface is configured and thus
firware loader runs in context of /sbin/ip which may not have access
to sysfs. Having separate thread will ensure that firmware loader runs
in kernel context).
And I was thinking about caching firmware (siomething like if you do
"echo 2 > /sys/class/firmware/blah/loading" instead of 0 it will keep
a copy of the firmware in memory. One could see all firmwares in
/sys/class/firmware/loaded/<xxx> and by erase cached firmware by
echoing 0 into it).
What do you think?