Re: Debian export question: JAPAN and the world

Dave,

I think you may be mistaken about this.  If you look here,

http://jya.com/wa/wacat52.htm

The WA munitions list states in Category 5 section 2:

Note  The control status of "information security" equipment, "software", systems, application specific "electronic assemblies", modules, integrated circuits, components or functions is determined in Category 5, Part 2 even if they are components or "electronic assemblies" of other equipment.

The word "software" here seems to indicate that, yes, the export of software is controlled by the WA.  My assumption was that the non-US and non-free server were meant to circumvent controls for WA restrictions as well as the additional US restrictions you speak of.

-Satoshi

On Apr 5, 2005 4:28 PM, David Schleef <ds@schleef.org> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:41:02PM +0900, Satoshi Kawase (Fukuoka) wrote:
> I work for a major Japanese electronics company and we would like include
> Debian into one of our new products.
>
> The trouble we are facing is that because Japan is one of the countries in
> the wassenaar arrangement exports of cryptographic software count as
> "munitions" and hence must be passed through the Japanese version of the BXA
> (Bureau of Industry and Security).

This may be true, but as I understand it, the Wassenaar arrangement
doesn't specifically cover software.  Note that the Debian non-US
server (which was intended to circumvent the US controls) is in
a Wassenaar arrangement country.  It was merely the additional
US restrictions that caused a problem.

dave...

--
Satoshi Kawase