Re: Which license for a dictionary or GFDL with clause == free?

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> Although in the UK we do have "database rights", where the effort put
> into compiling the list is considered a "protectable interest". This
> would protect a word list from literal copying. So a requirement that
> any modifications are distributed for free along with the original would
> probably be enforceable under UK law, just not under copyright.

The creator of the database probably is a US citizen, so he doesn't
qualify for database protection. Only EU citizens can claim
this right. Non-EU citizens can only claim it if their national law
provides for similar protection.

Further, it depends of course on whether there is a "substantial
investment" in the creation or maintenance of the database. That's
a difficult question for a word list.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself