Re: Which license for a dictionary or GFDL with clause == free?

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 23:03 -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> [CCed to Andrew McMillan; please see item 3 below.  Feel free to ignore
> the rest of the message.]

> [Andrew: this is the part I CCed you about.]
> > 3. Would GFDL with a clause would suffice?
> > (Note: I am asking because I found this in whereami.8 man page:
> >
> >>        This   manual  page  was  written  by  Andrew  McMillan
> >> <debian@mcmil-
> >>        lan.net.nz> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be  used
> >> by  oth-
> >>        ers).   Permission  is  granted  to copy, distribute and/or
> >> modify this
> >>        document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
> >> Version
> >>        1.1; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts and no
> >> Back-Cover
> >>        Texts.
>
> This is not a free license.  This text is boilerplate from an old Debian
> manpage template, from before we realized the issues with the GFDL, and
> we are still dealing with the problems caused by that unfortunate
> template.  This template has since been revised to use the GPL, and we
> have been contacting the authors of manpages licensed under the GFDL to
> get them to relicense.  I have CCed Andrew McMillan for this purpose;
> Andrew, would you have any objections to relicensing this manual page
> (and any others you may have written that are licensed under the GFDL)
> under the GNU General Public License, version 2?

I have no objections to relicensing this.  It's certainly not _supposed_
to be non-free, and (as you have guessed) is simply that way because it
was based on the boilerplate that was current at the time I originally
wrote the manpage.

I don't know exactly what the recommended licensing is these days, but
the rest of 'whereami' is GPL (or is supposed to be - I may have screwed
up my copyright notices in some other ways as well :-).

If you have a suggested wording for fixing this please contact me
off-list ( or CC me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to
debian-legal).

Thanks,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
     A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Shaw