Re: Debian and Cuba

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 10:54:54PM +0100, Michael Below wrote:
> Sean Kellogg <skellogg@u.washington.edu> writes:

> > Um, yeah, I'm not a lawyer either...  but I play one at school, and I wouldn't
> > be so sure about that.  While Cuba/US relations are pretty bad, Cuba does
> > have relationships with other European nations.  As part of the compromise
> > between the US and the EU granting US permission for the EU to engage in
> > trade with Cuba, I would not be at all surprised that there are certain
> > embargo protection provisions.  For example, the "The U.S. will engage trade
> > sanctions with the EU if the EU trades with Cuba and Cuba engages in activity
> > intended to subvert the U.S. embargo."  You can see how this would get messy.

> A quick look on bafa.de (BAFA = german export regulation office) doesn't show
> a regulation wrt Cuba. And on their website, they are listing all the
> EU-wide restrictions, too. But maybe my look was too quick...

The restrictions in question are written into the US BXA export regulations.
Indirect export to Cuba is also prohibited, and the party the US government
will hold responsible is the party that did the original exporting from the
US, if they think you knew it was going to Cuba.  (At least, this is how I
understood the BXA regs to read last time I had a look at them.)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer