Re: GPL for documentation ?

Daniel Carrera wrote:
I was hoping you could help me understand the implications of using the GPL for documentation:

1) The GPL language talks about software. How does that apply to something that is not software?

With difficulty, IMO. Although, as someone points out, the GPL only uses the word "software" a few times, it is assumed throughout. For example, what do you do with a dictionary under the GPL and a word processor? Is it just data used by the program, or is it a part of it? It's really hard to figure it out, and creates uncertainty. (Mozilla/Open Office have this problem at the moment with GPLed dictionaries.)

Please don't use the GPL for documentation; it wasn't designed for it. Ideally, you'd use a DFSG-free documentation-specific licence, but I seem to remember there isn't one of those. ICBW, of course.

Gerv