Re: PHP non-free or wrongly named?

Michael Below wrote:
Here's the license except that left us wondering:

 4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
    may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
    from group@php.net.  You may indicate that your software works in
    conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
    it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"

When I read this last sentence I started wondering about packages like
phpbb, phpgroupware etc. As far as I know phpbb is an app for PHP, not
a derived work. But the trademark issue might remain.

Maybe one should ask the PHP group to clarify if their claim only
applies to derived works, or if they are trying to enforce trademark
rights on any use of "PHP". If it's the latter, Debian might have to
worry about it...

Surely by definition the claim only applies to derived works, seeing as it is in the license for distribution of PHP? Rather than being a trademark claim, is it not the case that this is an attempt to achieve trademark-like behaviour with copyright law?

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD