Re: mplayer, the time has come

Can this list PLEASE stop the belief that ducking your head in the sand in
regard to patent violations saves you from increased liability?  Yes, if you
willfully violate a patent you CAN be order to pay trebble damages, but that
assumes that the patent infringer can show damages to be trippled in the
first place.  Debain and its users are not going to ever be sued for money
damages...  the most we could ever see is an equitable action ordering us to
remove the offending package.  We just simply don't have the pockets to spend
$$$ on a big trial.

Further more, we would have a hell of a time proving that we aren't aware of
the patent...  we know about it, anyone on this list, the DPL, we all know
about the patents.  The more operative question is if we found the
specification from the patent file, copied it, and then benefited.  As I
doubt very much any Free Software developer has been grepping through the US
Patent repository for ideas, this really isn't an issue.

As for the patents.txt itself, it is a very good statement of a debain
developer to engage in due diligence...  usually "a good thing" (TM).

The debian-legal law school lurker,
Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
2nd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown