Re: flowc license

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:00:17PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:45:02PM -0700, Joel Aelwyn wrote:
> > And, in practice, a lot of it still boils down to what the copyright holder
> > views the *practical* requirements of fufilling the clause to mean. If it
> > means "make sure the phrase appears in the debian/copyright file", that's
> > not terribly onerous. If it means "Make sure the clause appears on your
> > website in a prominent place, and on all flyers promoting Debian's presence
> > at a trade show or other event", that could be a lot less practical.
>
> I don't think "make sure the phrase appears in the debian/copyright
> file" follows from the text of the OAC.  It's pretty clear: if you
> mention the software in your advertising, you have to include a verbatim
> piece of text, and that pretty clearly includes things like banner ads
> and other places where it's simply not practical.
>
> If a copyright holder doesn't want to require that, then it should be
> pretty easy to convince him to actually change the license, and not just
> "clarify" or "interpret" the license (which gets very hairy once you
> have more than one copyright holder).

I can only tell you what the people I've actually dealt with have said. If
it's "not practical", and if DFSG #10 enshrines the 4-clause BSD license as
free by fiat, then we have a much larger question looming.

One of the reasons I've spent so much time trying to convince various folks
holding copyrights and OACs in the NetBSD source tree to relicense under a
3-clause.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :