Re: Use of the Debian name for websites

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:20:20 -0800 (PST), MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Andrew Saunders <syntaxis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...] in light of the disagreements
> > between Debian and the FSF over what constitutes a Free license (the
> > GNU "Free" Documentation License being one prominent example[1]).
>
> That's not the disagreement, as far as I can tell. I know we're
> lazy, but "free" is often a shorthand for "free software" here.

On this occasion, the "shorthand" was quite deliberate.

I likewise believe that documentation is a subset of software, but the
interminable debates on the topic convinced me that GR 2004-03's
approach to resolving the ambiguity is the correct one - e.g. changing
"1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software" to "1. Debian will remain
100% free" and making references to free *works* as opposed to free
*software*. I'm attempting to adapt my own use of the lingo
accordingly.

Good summary, though.

--
Andrew Saunders