Re: Why is choice of venue non-free ?

Matthew Garrett wrote:

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

For this reason, Debian should reject choice of venue clauses as non-free.
At best, they give an underdog copyright holder a small advantage while
enforcing his rights, but at worst they give a hostile copyright holder a
large advantage while persecuting the Free Software community.

I'm not convinced that the advantage to the copyright holder is small.
If a large US corporation violates my copyright license, I'm likely to
stand a significantly better chance if I can sue them in the UK. To some
extent, I think it comes down to intent - if people are introducing
these clauses with the desire to restrict people's behaviour above and
beyond the terms of the license, then that's non-free. If they're doing
it in order to make it easier to enforce the terms of the license, then
I think the situation is less clear.

If a large US corporation violates your copyright, you can choose where to file your claim. You can sue in any jurisdiction where the injury is done, and where the party has a presence. There are very few large US corporations that do not have a presence in the UK.

The first thing you might have to do in such a lawsuit could be to prove that the UK is an appropriate place to sue them, but that would be the case anywhere.

On the other hand, if you have a choice of venue clause in your license, then the first thing you might have to do in such a lawsuit could be to prove that the large US corporation is bound by the license to have accepted the choice of venue. If I were a large corporate lawyer (or any type of lawyer) the first thing I'd do with such a suit is try to confuse where it should be filed: the COV clause assumes a valid license, we don't agree that the license is valid, so why are we bound by the COV?

--Joe