Re: Why is choice of venue non-free ?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:50:16PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> If a large US corporation violates my copyright license, I'm likely to
> stand a significantly better chance if I can sue them in the UK. To some
> extent, I think it comes down to intent - if people are introducing
> these clauses with the desire to restrict people's behaviour above and
> beyond the terms of the license, then that's non-free. If they're doing
> it in order to make it easier to enforce the terms of the license, then
> I think the situation is less clear.

I think I agree on this point.

If the license is otherwise DFSG free, it's more likely that choice of
venue would be used to deal with "Foo, Inc. is stealing my code by not
releasing the modified sources" than with "Smith, J. is figuring out
what my sup3r s3krit code does, and telling people about it".

--
Raul