Re: Need to Identify Contributions and the Dissident Test

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Joel Aelwyn wrote:
> As others have pointed out, Dissident vs. Desert Island are somewhat
> different tests. However, I guess it really depends on what
> information is required by #3, in the intent of the author.

Yes, they sort of grew out of each other, though.[1] [The weak form
(no compelled release of information to peopple not in the
distribution path) of the dissident test is equivalent to the dsert
island test.]

> If, on the other hand, it seeks to establish a valid and useful
> contact address (as appears, on the face of it, to be the intent,
> since it says 'for support', and an address which cannot be used for
> obtaining support is useless for that), I have to think it it fails
> the Dissident test fairly obviously.

My primary purpose here is lies with the identity part of the
dissident test. That is, to hash out where the balance lies between
the interests of free software (ie, a desire to know who is
contributing what for copyright and licensing purposes) and anonymity.

That this license requires individuals to identify themselves to
whoever they distribute modifications to, and that this violates the
strong form of the dissident test, I concur completely.

Don Armstrong

1: Assuming my memory of the two years ago or so that these tests were
first discussed is reasonably accurate.
--
"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
 For those who do not, none is possible."