Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Walter Landry writes:

> Not that special.  His argument makes sense to me.  If Kaffe is
> required for Eclipse to run, then it looks like a whole work to me.
> However, Kaffe is not the only JVM that can run Eclipse.  But it is
> the only one in main.  That is why Eclipse needs to stay in contrib.

Can you elaborate?  Its dependencies seem to be satisfiable using
main.  Last time I read policy, that is sufficient to put it in main.

How many GPL-incompatible packages exist that can only be compiled by
gcc or compilers outside of main?  Why should those not be moved into
contrib because of that build dependency?

Michael Poole