Re: how to mention GPL in the debian/copyright file

Hello Henning,

thank you for your help.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:25:58PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> What you should include is the exact notice found in the upstream
> source which says that the program is covered by the GPL.
Does this mean we need all the notes from the source files with
duplicates removed?  Do you have any reference for this?
Maybe debian-policy (this is where I looked) could be changed
to include this information?

I find for example the appended notices.  Should I replace my
text blurb by the concatenation of all these notices?  Does different
white space count as being different?

Now confused,
Jochen

PS.: I looked at the vroot.h license (last one in my list) which I
did not spot before.  I think is is ok for our purposes.  Do you agree?

* from the README:

This is public release of ChBg distributed under GPL.
[...]
License :
---------
Chbg is licensed under terms of GPL. See COPYING.

* from src/absimg.c:
/***************************************************************************/
/*              This code is part of Desktop Background changer            */
/*              called ChBg                                                */
/*              Copyright (c) 1999 - 2001 Ondrejicka Stefan                */
/*              (ondrej@idata.sk)                                          */
/*              Distributed under GPL 2 or later                           */
/***************************************************************************/

* from src/gdk_imlib1.c: (different copyright year)
/***************************************************************************/
/*              This code is part of Desktop Background changer            */
/*              called ChBg                                                */
/*              Copyright (c) 1999,2000 Ondrejicka Stefan                  */
/*              (ondrej@idata.sk)                                          */
/*              Distributed under GPL 2 or later                           */
/***************************************************************************/

* from fnmatch.c: (different copyright holder)

/* Copyright (C) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
   any later version.

  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
  Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

* from gimpgradient.c: (even more different copyright holder)
/* The GIMP -- an image manipulation program
 * Copyright (C) 1995 Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis
 *
 * Gradient editor module copyight (C) 1996-1997 Federico Mena Quintero
 * federico@nuclecu.unam.mx
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURIGHTE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 */

* from gtkgbpixmap.c: (gimp again, but different names)
/* GTK - The GIMP Toolkit
 * Copyright (C) 1995-1997 Peter Mattis, Spencer Kimball and Josh MacDonald
 * GtkBgPixmap Copyright (C) 2000 Stefan Ondrejicka <ondrej@idata.sk>
 *
 * Insensitive pixmap building code by Eckehard Berns from GNOME Stock
 * Copyright (C) 1997, 1998 Free Software Foundation
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Library General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
 * License along with this library; if not, write to the
 * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
 * Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 */

* from gtkclrbutton.c: (more gimp, different text in the third line)
 * GtkColorButton Copyright (C) 2000 Stefan Ondrejicka <ondrej@idata.sk>
 *
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Library General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public
 * License along with this library; if not, write to the
 * Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
 * Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
 */

* from shader.c: (as above, but different white space)
/***************************************************************************/
/*              This code is part of Desktop Background changer            */
/*              called ChBg                                                */
/*              Copyright (c) 1999, 2000 Ondrejicka Stefan                 */
/*              (ondrej@idata.sk)                                          */
/*              Distributed under GPL 2 or later                           */
/***************************************************************************/

* from vroot.h: (did not spot this before, non GPL-license)
/*****************************************************************************/
/**                   Copyright 1991 by Andreas Stolcke                     **/
/**               Copyright 1990 by Solbourne Computer Inc.                 **/
/**                          Longmont, Colorado                             **/
/**                                                                         **/
/**                           All Rights Reserved                           **/
/**                                                                         **/
/**    Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and    **/
/**    its documentation  for  any  purpose  and  without  fee is hereby    **/
/**    granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear  in  all    **/
/**    copies and that both  that  copyright  notice  and  this  permis-    **/
/**    sion  notice appear in supporting  documentation,  and  that  the    **/
/**    name of Solbourne not be used in advertising                         **/
/**    in publicity pertaining to distribution of the  software  without    **/
/**    specific, written prior permission.                                  **/
/**                                                                         **/
/**    ANDREAS STOLCKE AND SOLBOURNE COMPUTER INC. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES **/
/**    WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF    **/
/**    MERCHANTABILITY  AND  FITNESS,  IN  NO  EVENT SHALL ANDREAS STOLCKE  **/
/**    OR SOLBOURNE BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL    **/
/**    DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA   **/
/**    OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER    **/
/**    TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN  CONNECTION  WITH  THE  USE    **/
/**    OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.                                     **/

--
http://seehuhn.de/