Re: why is graphviz package non-free?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:57:14PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > i have read that graphviz is licensed under the Common Public License
> > Version 1.0 [1]. The FSF consider this license as free and also in the
> > debian-legal mailing-list archive i couldn't find a statement that debian
> > have a different view.
>
> > [1] http://www.graphviz.org/License.php
>
> This is the Common Public License, version 1.0, with the revision
> right solely tied to IBM.  This is a bit surprising, but doesn't have
> any impact on the DFSG-freeness of the this license.

Kinda indicates to me that the authors haven't read the license. Which
would be rather pathetic.

> > So why this package is in non-free?
>
> Historical reasons.

Specifically this part, taken from the above page:

  AT&T has previously made versions of this software available under
  the AT&T Source Code Agreement, version 1.2D and earlier.

Which doesn't immediately appear to be available, but was decidedly
non-free. Graphviz has been going to be released under a new, free
license real soon now, for as long as I can remember. I guess it
finally happened.

Copyright status on the old package (1.16) is unclear, but is probably
still the old license only (I vaguely recall the intent was to rewrite
all the code that wasn't relicensable), so it'll have to be updated to
the current upstream release (2.0) before it can go into main.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |