Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> However, I don't want to get too far into this conversation until we've
> established whether you will need new names.

Using MF's trademarks seems to require some sort of licence to
be granted specifically to debian and not to its users. That
seems not to follow DFSG 7 or 8, doesn't it?

Alternatively, if the names are changed to
firebird/tbird/mozzarella or anything else avoiding the MF
trademarks, no extra licences are required. Describing the
heritage in the description line will let users find the
right debian package, while still being honest.

If MF is really going to insist that it gets magic veto rights
over the work of the debian maintainer and users, changing
the name is the easiest solution. If MF want us to use the
trademarks, make that solution easier by relaxing the policy
enough to follow the DFSG. I think it's fine to insist on
prominent marking of differences, but it's too severe to revoke
permission based on random unspecified quality judgements.

> Ideally, I want to get a
> good understanding of the Debian position on trademarks in general, and
> then go to Chris Beard and Mitchell Baker (with whom the trademark buck
> stops) and see what they say. After they've agreed that nothing can be
> done, if that's their view, then let's talk about alternative names.

IIRC, both branden and myself tried to discuss trademarks with
you and others from MF before. In my discussion, MF people
just stopped answering emails. What new steps will MF take
to reach consensus this time?

Basically, can debian contributors expect any progress?

--
MJR/slef  My Opinion Only and maybe not of groups I know