Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:06:12AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> There's some contention over this. Based on the discussion on
>> debian-private that led to the DFSG, I think 8 was effectively shorthand
>> for ensuring that every freedom enumerated in the DFSG was available to
>> any further recipients. Others disagree. I asked Bruce about this, but
>> never got a reply.
>
> Just to be clear: except for the "clear" part, you're agreeing with Francesco,
> right?

Right. Material that doesn't provide all the DFSG-required freedoms on
to recipients other than Debian isn't free. But I don't think DFSG 8 is
intended to prevent Debian (or some other class of people) from having
/extra/ freedoms, as long as everyone else has at least an acceptable
base level.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org