Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:17:09AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> >   However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with the Library
> > creates an executable that is a derivative of the Library (because it
> > contains portions of the Library), rather than a "work that uses the
> > library".  The executable is therefore covered by this License.
> > Section 6 states terms for distribution of such executables."
>
> I see.  Thank you, that clarifies perfectly.
>
> I had thought from previous GPL discussions that "distribute the source
> and let users link it" was not a reasonable way to sidestep license
> compatibility issues, because the source was still a derived work.  Does
> this mean that one can distribute the source (or object files, even) of
> a program that links to a GPLed library, and just let users link it?
> That seems like a rather large loophole.

Trying to duck the license in this manner would probably not amuse a
court. The best thing to do is to ignore all the library fluff - does
*this code* require or otherwise derive from *that code*? The answer
is usually "yes" when linking to a library for which only one
implementation of the API exists, and usually "no" when multiple such
implementations exist.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |