Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:35:42PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
>>Work that is entirely written by you can still be a derivative of
>>another work.  For example, if you write a program that uses GNU
>>Readline, that program is a derivative of GNU Readline, even if you
>>don't actually distribute GNU Readline with your program.
>
> More clearly (according to my understanding), the resulting binary
> is--it pulls in pieces of readline--but the source is not.  (I'm not sure
> if this impacts your point, but it's an important distinction.)

That's debatable.  If your program is written against a library, and
there is only one implementation of that library, I would argue that the
source is a derivative of the library as well.  Things get more complex
if there are multiple implementations, of course.

- Josh Triplett