Re: handling Mozilla with kid gloves [was: GUADEC report]

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:25:12AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 03:53:45PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> >> You're seriously suggesting that Debian wouldn't be laughed out of the
> >> park for releasing without Mozilla at the moment? If you aren't
> >> suggesting this, then that comment is irrelevant.
> >
> >Branden reminded me on IRC that the discussion is about the MPL, not
> >about the Mozilla browser, which is triple-licensed under MPL/GPL/LGPL.
> >My apologies for my confusion.
>
> Most of Mozilla is triple-licensed I believe that some remains
> dual-licensed under the MPL/NPL, and so deciding that the MPL is
> non-free certainly means that we can't ship Mozilla.
> http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/relicensing-faq.html certainly implies that
> some work remains to be done there.

According to the mozilla.org staff meeting minutes for 24 November 2003[1]:

  *Relicensing update*

  - All permissions obtained, thanks to chofmann
  - trentm@activestatem.com putting finishing touches to script
  - Big push in the 1.7a timeframe (i.e. next time checkins are
     unrestricted)

Also, in January, Gervase Markham (who is leading the relicensing effort as
far as I can tell) asserted that the only stuff they couldn't yet get
permission to relicense under the MPL/GPL/LGPL was "nothing important"[2].
In the ensuing six months, progress may have been made.

Consequently, I feel it would be scare-mongering to assert that any
criticism of the MPL from a DFSG perspective will "take Mozilla out of
main".  We're bound to see some people say this anyway, of course, but you
personally may not wish to appear closely associated with them, given the
other factual deficincies that tend to accompany such terror campaigns.  :)

Given that the scheduled time for the "big push" is long past and appears
to have actually been done, it might be fruitful to contact Gervase Markham
and ask him how this is coming along.

I'll do this in the next day or so.

[1] http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3FCB8B00.5070604%40mozilla.org
[2] http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3FFC952B.2020302%40mozilla.org

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      It doesn't matter what you are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      doing, emacs is always overkill.