Re: Free Debian logos?

Andrew Suffield writes:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 10:45:10PM -0400, Chloe Hoffman wrote:
>> Companies like Apple and General Electric would be disappointed to hear
>> that. I think you meant that dictionary words can't be trademarked where
>> those words are clearly descriptive of the goods and services in association
>> with which they are associated.
>
> "General Electric" is two words; MS has lost that game before now too
> ("IBM Works" does not infringe "Microsoft Works"). Apple's probably
> lawyer-bait.

Apple Corps in Britain disagrees.  They worked out an agreement with
Apple Computer that held until Apple Computer came out with iTunes[1].
The latest news I see is that a British court ruled that the case
should be heard in London rather than the US[2].  [2] also mentions
suits filed by the record label in 1981 and 1991, both of which
settled out-of-court.

Michael Poole

1- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3105444.stm
2- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/18/entertainment/main573913.shtml