Re: Free Debian logos? [was: Re: GUADEC report]

Josh Triplett wrote:

> Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> Here's my model no-nonsense license (for the "Open Use" logo; I'm not
>> going to worry about the other one).
>>
>> Copyright license:
>> "You may copy, distribute, modify, and distribute modified versions of
>> this logo."
>
> Good idea to make "distribute modified versions" explicit, but this is a
> little awkward.  How about:
> "You may copy and distribute this logo, with or without modification."
>
>> Trademark license:
>> "You may use this logo or a modified version of it to refer to Debian.
>> You may not use this logo, or any confusingly similar logo, to refer to
>> anything else in a way which might cause confusion with Debian."
>> Final clarification:
>> "(If you have a modified version of this logo which is not confusingly
>> similar to the original, you may use it for any purpose.)"
>
> While I understand the purpose of such a license, I don't think works
> under this license should be allowed in Debian main.  Free works must be
> usable for any purpose.

Perhaps I have stated it poorly.  They should be usable for any purpose
*except* the purpose of causing confusion as to whether something is related
to Debian or not.  I believe that that is a purpose which does not need to
be protected and can, and should, be discriminated against.