Re: request-tracker3: licence problem

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:49:03AM +0100, Andrew Stribblehill wrote:
> Okay, I'm forwarding what Jesse and BestPractical's lawyer have put
> together as a replacement appendage to the GPL in their licence.
[...]
> The new version:
>
> | By intentionally submitting any modifications, corrections or
> | derivatives to this work, or any other work intended for use with Request
> | Tracker, to Best Practical Solutions, LLC, you confirm that you are the
> | copyright holder for those contributions and you grant Best Practical
> | Solutions,  LLC a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free,
> | perpetual, license to use, copy, create derivative works based on those
> | contributions, and sublicense and distribute those contributions and
> | any derivatives thereof.
[...]
> Can anyone who had a problem with the old licence appendage confirm
> that the new one looks okay?

I think:

1) Including a submission policy alongside the license terms sets a
   precedent -- whether it's good or bad, I'm not sure;
2) It should be me made scorchingly clear that this new paragraph is not in
   any way a condition of the copyright license.  I know this is "supposed"
   to be clear once "BEGIN/END LICENSE BLOCK" is explained away, but that's
   not enough for me, personally.  I would like debian/copyright to make
   this crystal clear, quoting a representative of Best Practical, LLC on
   the subject.  I would prefer, however, that this clarification be in the
   license/warranty disclaimer/submission policy block as well.  I only
   harp on this because I think a precedent *is* being set, and when other
   copyright holders start mindlessly copying the text, I think it would be
   very helpful, and spare us much gnashing of teeth later, if they
   thoughtlessly copied the unambiguous statement that this is not part of
   the copyright license as well.

The DFSG problem is resolved as far as I can tell.  Thanks a lot for
working with Best Practical, LLC to bring this issue to a positive
conclusion!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur.