Re: CC-based proposal (was FDL: no news?)

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 09:23, tom wrote:

> My doubt is: dfsg should cover the 4 freedom of fsf.

I think this is a non-issue. The DFSG is the DFSG, nothing more or less.

> How does CC respect the availability of source code?

The licenses neither enforce nor prevent a licensee's distribution of
source code. Enforcing distribution of source code is not part of the
DFSG, though, and we consider works under licenses that don't enforce
source code distribution (e.g., 3-clause BSD) to be Free.

Of course, our project's experience shows that just having a
source-available license on some software doesn't necessarily make the
source available.

I believe availability of source code (the first half of DFSG #2) is an
attribute of the package, and distributability of source code (the
second half) is an attribute of the license. And I think that the CC
licenses make redistribution of source code OK.

> Can we consider dfsg-free a song which can be playd just in MSplayer,
> or a text readable just whit adobe reader?

Absolutely. The problem with secret and/or obfuscated file formats is
not that you can't read or use them on some player or another; it's that
they're hard or impossible to modify.

I'd think, though, that if there were no Free player for a work, it
couldn't go into main. It'd be pretty fair to say that a work depends,
in the Debian sense, on some kind of player.

~ESP

P.S. Tom, I CC'd you on this since I'm not sure if you're on
debian-legal. If you are, sorry for the double-post.

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>