Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> > The only basis I can see for saying that this doesn't require modified
>> > copies be licensed appropriately involves a definition of "and" which
>> > is peculiar to digital logic (as opposed to law or common english).
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 11:16:58AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> Wha?  An appropriate copyright notice is along the lines of "Copyright
>> (c) 1984-2004 Richard Stallman," as might plausibly appear on much GNU
>> software.  It imposes no licensing restrictions.
>>
>> Where do you see a licensing restriction from that?
>
> If there is no distribution or publishing going on -- if you are writing
> the additional code which is being incorporated into the program --
> there is no problem.  You have full rights to everything you write and
> you're giving everyone who has a copy (yourself) all the rights the GPL
> demands (for example, you have the right to give all others GPLed rights
> to this work).

This conflicts with what you've been saying for the past week or so --
you've been asserting that I can't combine gcc and metafont, or Emacs
and OpenSSL, without violating the GPL.

Now you're changing your story.

> Where there is distribution going on -- which is a fairly typical case --
> then there is a problem.  You have to keep the copyright notices intact,
> and if those copyright notices don't include a right to the work as a
> whole then you have something which doesn't satisfy the terms of the GPL.

"Don't include a right to the work as a whole"?  Don't include what
right to the work as a whole?  This makes no sense.

I've snipped the rest of your message because I couldn't make sense of
it either.  I'm not sure that having a conversation with you is
productive: the shifting arguments and consistent oversnippage make it
too difficult to read a coherent point from you.

-Brian