Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 12:25:50AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> I don't know. However, if you somehow manage to make a functional
> modification of gcc such that it runs on the system *and* you
> distribute your modified gcc with full source and under the terms of
> the GPL, then you will have no legal trouble with the FSF.

You'd probably run into dmca problems and other sorts of legal
difficulties.  Illegal modifications don't seem to be a good answer for
"how do I do this legally"?

> If somebody *else* (or your lack of access to applicable hardware, or
> plain old lack of time, skill, and interest) prevents you from making
> a functional modification and distributing the modified GCC with full
> source under the terms of the GPL ... well, then that is not really
> the fault of the GPL itself, and it makes no sense to claim that such
> a scenario describes a functional modification that the GPL disallows.

I wasn't talking about "fault".

I don't think that modifying gcc in this fashion would be a good thing.

But, I don't agree that the GPL allows all functional modifications.

--
Raul