Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

Scripsit Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:01:16PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > That is a non-solution. Telling a lie and then saying, "oops, the
> > above statement is a lie, but a previous author requires me to tell
> > it" will (1) not make the lie go away, (2) help nobody, and (3) make
> > everyone involved look silly. Plus, there may not be space for that
> > much deliberation on the cover.

> And calling a statement which is true a lie doesn't do anyone any
> good either.

The statement is NOT TRUE!

> Your entire example is based on taking a statement which is true in one
> context and creating another context where it is incorrect.

Yes. That is exactly the point. The license requires me to repeat the
statement in a context where it is not true.

> This works, as long as you're not willing to go to the minor effort
> of fixing the second context.

Your "minor effort" means not doing the derivation at all. You are
welcome to claim that this is "minor", but I doubt that very many
would agree.

> > That is the only way to avoid putting the cover text in a context
> > where it is not literally false.

> And this, my friend, is an example of a lie.

Rubbish. The only context in which thne statement is not literally
false is the original context. Therefore the only way to avoid making
the statement into a lie is not th modify the context at all.

--
Henning Makholm                "Nu kommer han. Kan du ikke høre knallerten?"