Re: reiser4 non-free?

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 07:41:48AM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> It's not that contrived [1].  In any case, are you saying that you
> don't care whether people can use software to do extreme ironing?
> Debian makes sure that terrorists, nuclear bomb makers, wall street
> analysts, and the IRS can use the software, but we suddenly don't care
> about elections and extreme ironing?

The question is not whether simple-interface voting machines are plausible
or useful or posses some other virtue.

> [1] http://www.vote.caltech.edu/Reports/vtp_WP2.pdf

I don't see anything in that report indicating that the voting machines
should be tuning or creating the file system underlying the files.

More generally, I do believe that there are practical problems created
by the "must display credits" license.  For example, consider a general
purpose OS environment designed for the deaf (where reducing the number
of phonemes spewed by programs is a driving issue).

The problem with the voting machine example is that voting machines are
special purpose devices -- they should have any file systems (possibly
redundant file systems) created before they're deployed, and if something
goes wrong with the file system it should NOT be manipulated in the field.
That kind of manipulation could lead to fraud, and so should be conducted
in a highly controlled and auditable environment.

--
Raul