Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:16:50PM +0200, Martin Dickopp wrote:
> Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Burnes, James wrote:
> >
> >> 3. Is it that you simply want an efficient mechanism for cataloging
> >> efforts of the major contributors to a project?  If that's the case why
> >> don't we just come up with some sort of credits standard to be macro
> >> embedded in the binaries?  That way anyone could view the credits by
> >> running a 'credits' shell command against the binary/library/kernel etc.
> >> Obviously the macros would be viewable in source.
> > Nice idea.  I like it.  It's also a good way to put the copyright notices
> > *into* the binaries, rather than merely next to them.  How about a standard
> > ELF section for credits?  :-)
>
> I like the idea as well.  FWIW, as an experimental implementation
> attempt, I have just modified my own little program (jpegpixi, of which
> I'm the upstream author; I'm not a DD) to put the copyright and license
> information (i.e. the text which is normally output in reaction to the
> --version command line option) in a separate ELF section ".license".
> The objcopy command can be used to dump and/or extract the contents of
> this section.

How much did this addition increase the size of the final binary?

Hypothetically, would you object to this information being stripped if
your binary were used on an embedded or low space device?

--
Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith