Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> Burnes, James wrote:
>
>> 3. Is it that you simply want an efficient mechanism for cataloging
>> efforts of the major contributors to a project?  If that's the case why
>> don't we just come up with some sort of credits standard to be macro
>> embedded in the binaries?  That way anyone could view the credits by
>> running a 'credits' shell command against the binary/library/kernel etc.
>> Obviously the macros would be viewable in source.
> Nice idea.  I like it.  It's also a good way to put the copyright notices
> *into* the binaries, rather than merely next to them.  How about a standard
> ELF section for credits?  :-)

I like the idea as well.  FWIW, as an experimental implementation
attempt, I have just modified my own little program (jpegpixi, of which
I'm the upstream author; I'm not a DD) to put the copyright and license
information (i.e. the text which is normally output in reaction to the
--version command line option) in a separate ELF section ".license".
The objcopy command can be used to dump and/or extract the contents of
this section.

Martin